When a baby spends too much time in a container or any baby caring object, it generally results in Container Baby Syndrome (CBS).
It is otherwise known as Bucket Baby Syndrome.
What type of objects can we consider as the container ????
- The baby caring objects can be considered as the container.
- When a baby is placed for a longer time in these objections then its responsible for causing the Container baby syndrome.
- The objects which we can considered as the container are following:
- Car Seats
- Bouncy Swings
- Nursing Cushion
- High Chairs
- Vibrating Chairs
- All these above mentioned are the containers which are really useful for babies to rest and feel safe and comfortable environments.
- The parents can also get some relaxation by putting their baby into one of these.
- But sometimes due to over time sitting in this container can suppress the movement growth of the baby and the baby can gradually develop the Container baby syndrome or Bucket Baby Syndrome.
Causes Of Container Baby Syndrome :-
The causes are following:-
- The main root cause of Container Baby Syndrome is to put the baby into fix frame (like; rocker, jumper, stroller etc. ) for prolong period of time.
- This longer duration can restrict the normal movements of the baby.
- Which results in either tightness or flaccidity of muscles.
- According to research due to combination of all these the baby can diagnosed with Container Baby Syndrome (CBS).
Sign And Symptoms Of Container Baby Syndrome :-
- Like any other syndrome The CBS has also its particular sign and symptoms by which it can get differtiated with others.
- They are following:
- The most shown and prominent symptom is a flat head. It happens due to over time spending time in the container.
- Milestone Delays Or Delayed Development
- Bonding issues with others
- Brain hemisphere damage can cause visual and auditory issues.
- Social milestone delay
- Coordination problems
- The eyeball movement can also gets affected
- Neck holding issues ( e.g. Torticollis)
- Excessive crying
- Muscular Weakness
- Decreased Tummy Time
- Verbal Milestone delay
- Minor Injuries
- The baby is not get ready to come out from container
- By recognizing them one is properly able to diagnose the condition.
Diagnostic Tests For Container Baby Syndrome :-
- There are some certain diagnostic criteria by which one can diagnose Container Baby Syndrome.
- They are following:
- The baby’s area of skull is becoming flattened either from the back side or any one side.
- The baby keeps his/her neck one side tilted due to tightness of neck muscles, sometimes this results in neck conditions like torticolis.
- The tummy time of the baby gets decreased.
- Some sensory issues like poor perception may arise.
- So these are mainly four diagnostic criteria by which the syndrome can get diagnosed.
- The parents are first evaluators of this syndrome as the baby spends all time with them.
- After the symptoms can be shown and on the basis of these diagnostic criteria the pediatrician or pediatric physiotherapist can diagnose and evaluate the condition and the further treatment gets started.
Does this syndrome get completely cured????
- This is one of the most important questions which firstly comes into every parents mind. But, the answer is Yes.
- This syndrome is 100% curable and prevented.
- By starting proper treatment at the proper time this can be prevented.
- There are some home exercises and positioning also helps to treat the syndrome.
- The child gets totally cured from this syndrome if he/she gets proper treatment.
Treatment Of Container Baby Syndrome:-
- The pediatrician can send the child to a pediatric physiotherapist, who can assess the condition and start the treatment.
- The physiotherapist can first take the history of the child before starting the treatment.
- After that the Physio will take the assessment of the child which includes general body observation, different types of diagnostic tests and after that he/she can plan the treatment goals.
- The goals are divided into 2 parts.
- Short term goals
- Long Term goals
- They can give home programs to the parents to follow.
- Which includes reducing the timing in the container, different positioning and repositioning , sometimes braces to prevent the flat head and some mild neck positioning to prevent the torticolis.
- By doing all these together the syndrome can be treated and prevented.
- The parents can also prevent the syndrome by taking care of them properly.
- So, don’t get afraid of CBS, just take proper precautions and make your child free from the syndrome.
- Read more on Down’s Syndrome