Depression is a vast topic to discuss and also major occurring mental health condition in all over the world.
- Suffering from depression means more then a bad mood, or a bad day or a month.
- Depression can make you mentally weaker day by day, and you can also experience different mood swings everyday.
- If you want to overcome depression, then first you have to find out that whether you are actually suffering from depression or its some other mental condition which you are going through.
Before going to evaluate firstly you have to know what is called depression?
- Depression is the state of mind which generally occurs because of imbalance of hormones like cortisol, Estrogen and progesterone.
- Depression is not the process of one or two days. It’s a long term process.
- Depression can affect person’s thoughts, behavior, feelings and sense of well-being.
Symptoms of Depression
- Mood swings
- Become isolated
- Loss of interest or pleasure
- Changes in appetite
- Recurrent thoughts of suicide
- Unable to take proper decisions due to lake of concentration or overthinking
- Feeling guilty or worthless
Causes Of Depression
The actual cause of depression is unknown. But, there are some particular causes which may cause depression.
- Stress is the root cause of depression.
- Stress can directly affect on your body and it also causes many health issues.
- Whether its work related stress or personal life issues or some other factors which caused mental stress, but because of them if the stress can not treated at proper time it gradually converts into depression.
- Childhood Trauma
- Because of some traumatic events in childhood, the person may suffer from fear, anxiety and other stressful situations, which can be responsible for depression.
- Chronic illness
- Sometimes due to any long time suffering from medical condition like chronic pain, insomnia, or any other medical condition can cause of depression.
- Sometimes in special need children, due to some syndromic condition or ADHD or any other disability like Learning Disability, the child can suffer from depression.
- Physical Or Mental Abuse
- Sometimes because of any physical or mental harassment, the person may suffer from depression or some other mental disease.
Types of Depression
- The types of depression can be decided according to severity of its symptoms.
- The symptoms can vary according to severity of symptoms like mild, moderate or severe.
- The types are following :-
- Major Depressive Disorder
- Persistent Depressive Disorder
Treatment of Depression
Quality of life depends on our mental health and to perceive it, we need to overcome depression.
- The treatment plan of depression can be decided according to severity of its symptoms.
- You have to consult a Psychiatrist without hesitation if you feel that you have symptoms like depression.
- The doctor can evaluate the condition and according to diagnosis, then the treatment get started.
- There are many techniques used in the treatment of depression, they are following :
- Medication or we can call it a therapy that can be used as the first line treatment of depression.
- The doctor can prescribe you different types of medication according to severity of your symptoms.
- Along with medications the psychotherapy can help you to overcome your depression.
- There are many different techniques used by therapists.
- They are Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT), Hypnotherapy, Counselling etc.
- Sometimes group therapy can also be used as the treatment.
- Alternative Treatments
Some alternative medical treatments along with above treatments can also be helpful in treating depression.
- They are:
&.) Homeopathic Treatment
&.) Ayurvedic Treatment
&.) Naturopathic Treatment
&.) Music Therapy
All these are not first line of treatment but they can be helpful in treating depression.
- Meditation And Yoga
- Meditation can be considered as a magical healing therapy in depression, although it’s not a first line of treatment, but it can be started with psychotherapy and medications.
- Some research says that doing meditation for a long time impart positive changes in brain structure and it will be helpful for person who is suffering from depression.
- Yoga can also as important as meditation.
- The different AASANAs of yoga can help a person to improve their general body fitness and the person can feel light and relax.
- Read more on Guidelines for Yoga
- Lifestyle Modifications
Along with treatments, there are some little lifestyle changes which can make major difference in person’s condition.
- Do some workouts or Aerobics or Zumba as a general body exercise which can make you fresh.
- The person can also do swimming.
- The person can set a daily routine from morning to night and follow it properly, this can also help him/her to overcome depression.
- Avoid taking alcohol and drugs.
- Go for walk daily.
- Do activities of your interest.
- Work for your self-improvement, if you look good you can feel good and confident.
- Have proper and healthy diet.
- Set a diet plan.
So, Depression is the mental condition, don’t get afraid of it. It can be treated if you can do proper treatment. So, don’t be afraid or hesitate to consult a doctor, have proper treatment and live a happy and healthy life.
“Depression is not the end, if you give your mental health little priority and keep a right mindset, then there is surely a happy life beyond the depression.”