Also known as IGUs or Insulated Glass Units, these windows save a lot of energy. The panes in the glass are separated by a spacer and a still layer of gas or air.
Benefits of Double Glazed Windows
These windows are an ideal way to minimize noise. The sealed air gaps act as an added layer of insulation. This adds thermal resistance to the heat that escapes from the windows during winter and keeps your home at a more comfortable temperature. Some of the other advantages include:
- The windows have a reverse effect in summer resisting unwanted heat from coming inside. The extra insulation provided by glazed windows help in lessening the reliance on artificial heaters
- Double glazed windows can also reduce condensation which can result in the unhealthy formation of moulds.
- It is also a lot harder to break two windows as compared to a single sheet.
Types of Glasses used for Double Glazed Windows
Different types of glasses are used for double-glazed windows starting from low- e and laminated. These can be used in double glazing units to further increase energy efficiency and noise control.
Things to Consider While Installing Double Glazed Windows
From hiring an expert to checking if he is doing the right job, you need to consider a lot of things, which include:
- The typical space between the two panes is 12 mm, which is important for optimal thermal performance.
- To reduce high frequency noise from the traffic, the recommended gap should be 150mm. It must be remembered that such gaps allow convection to occur between the panes and reduce insulating performance.
- Ensure that the glass panes are spaced out with a desiccant or a drying agent, which absorbs moisture trapped in the air space.
- For proper functioning of the double-glazed window, it is important to ensure that the framing material that you have chosen is sturdy and serves the purpose of insulating the temperature inside the room.
- Standard aluminium window frames are good conductors of heat and cold. They need to be enhanced thermally to be able to eliminate losing unnecessary heat from the interiors.
- Ensure that the cavity sealing the glass and the frame is sealed properly. If the double-glazed unit is not sealed properly or if the spacer does not have adequate desiccant, it can not only reduce the performance, but also increase the condensation on cold surfaces.
Advantages of Double Glazed Windows:
As already discussed, here is summarizing the advantages of installing the double-glazed windows:
1. It saves energy:
These windows insulate the heat inside room and, it also helps in thermal insulation. In other words, less energy is used to heat up or cool down the place, thus reducing the electricity bill.
One can also choose to add additional layers of glass to add insulation value to the window.
2. It is difficult to break double-glazed window:
One glass is easier to break than two glasses. So, they increase the security of the home. Because they are sealed tight, it is also difficult to open them from outside.
One of the best options- be it in terms of safety or security or in terms of insulation-double-glazed windows speak of durability and strength. However, it is important to hire the best carpenters and experts for installing the window, otherwise you have to spend more every time repairing them.