Treatment is the most important part in the rehabilitation process for the child with Fragile X syndrome. Once the diagnosis is done one has to start the treatment as soon as possible before the symptoms get worse. Treatment Of Fragile X syndrome can be planned by the team of specialist doctors.
- In the team includes :
- Child Psychologist
- Pediatric Physiotherapist
- Occupational Therapist
- Speech Therapist
- Behavior Therapist
- Read more about Fragile X Syndrome: Overview, Symptoms and Diagnosis
- All these can work as a team and helps the child and parents to manage the symptoms of this syndrome.
- Though this is not completely cured , it can be managed by team work.
- Parents cooperation is the most important part in planning and giving the treatment.
Benefits Of Starting Treatment At Proper Time:
- They are following :
- The symptoms can’t get worse over time.
- The behavioural issues can be resolved.
- The learning disabilities can get treated at a proper time.
- The child can learn how to live the normal life.
- It’s also helpful for parents to manage the child at a certain age if he/she can be diagnosed with fragile X syndrome.
- If the therapy can start at a proper age then it’s beneficial for a child to cope up with such disabilities.
Plan Of Treatment
- As mentioned above, the treatment plan can be made by a team of experts.
- The duration and time can be divided according to the severity of symptoms and age of the child.
- The experts can decide which therapy or medications are useful for betterment relaxation.
- The treatment can be divided into four parts.
- They are following :
- Medications can be decided by the child psychiatrist or psychologist.
- They prescribed medications according to the age and symptoms.
- Generally the medications can help for relaxation of the brain and to manage the behavioural symptoms.
- If the symptoms are spread to the muscular level then muscle relaxants are also prescribed by the doctor.
- It is very important to check the allergy test before starting any medications whether that medicine is suitable for a child or not.
- The dosage can also be decided according to the body response of the patient.
- Medications are the first line of treatment.
2. Psychological Therapies
- Counseling therapy is not the first line of treatment but it can give the best results.
- The therapies include:
3. Behavioural Therapy
- This therapy can help the child to resolve their behaviour issues.
- The child also learns how to behave in society or with friends or other people.
- The child also learns how to control their emotions like anger, laugh tantrums etc.
- Generally the session is around 40 to 50 minutes.
- Sometimes along with the counseling the therapist can add some playful or group activities so that the child can enjoy the session.
- The time and number of sessions are decided according to the age and how severe the symptoms are.
4. Parental Counselling
- Sometimes due to the child’s condition their parents are also facing mental health issues like depression, anxiety , low mood disorder etc.
- Counselling therapy helps the parents to overcome their issue.
- It also helps the parents to accept the child’s condition and to deal with the child.
- The parents can learn how to calmly handle the child.
- Sometimes the therapist can arrange group sessions for parents so that the parents can share their problems with each other and get motivated by each other.
- In this, parental counselling is as important as child counselling.
- If the parents are happy then they are able to handle their child and their behavioural issues.
5. Physical Therapy
- This is not the first line of treatment but it’s helpful in long term improvement.
- In the child with fragile x syndrome sometimes the physical health gets affected or even the sensory issues can arise.
- Physiotherapy or sensory integration therapy can help to resolve these issues.
- Once the child can get diagnosed with fragile x syndrome the parents have to contact the pediatric therapist and start the treatment as soon as possible.
- If the child has a learning disability then one has to contact the special educator for further guidance and learning of the child.
- But if all these can start in the initial stage then the child can learn more better rather then in late age.
6. Art Therapy Or Occupational Therapy
- These are other types of therapies.
- The sessions of these therapies can take once in a week.
- The art therapy sessions can be taken in groups so that the child can learn with fun.
- Sometimes group behaviour is therapy sessions also taken with these therapies.
- In these the child learns the new skills and also learns to share their things, how to behave and react with other children in the group.
- It’s important for a child’s overall growth.
- So all these are the treatment part of fragile x syndrome.
- Though it’s a long term plan, if it’s done calmly and regularly then it’s very much beneficial for both child and parents.
- And yes do not leave the treatment in between otherwise there is no any positive effect shown in a child’s growth.
- It’s not the child’s fault if they have Fragile X Syndrome, love them , give proper care to them.
- Spread Awareness Of Fragile X Syndrome Because Being Very Child Is Precious.