Flooding is something that can be caused by different issues whether internally or externally along with the flow of water and the drainage system.
Some of the basic reasons can include the following points:
- Excessive rainfall
- Unstopped rainfall
- Breakage of a dam
- Blocked drains
All the above-mentioned points can cause extreme flooding in a particular area. If the problem is within a house then it could be due to the poor maintenance of the plumbing. There are few ways that can help the owners prevent flooding at the homes. It is drastic to wake up one fine morning and find that the entire house is flooded with dirty drain water and releasing a foul smell all around. The most important reason behind the flooding within the interiors of the house is the negligence in the maintenance of pipes and the poor drainage.
It is commonly seen that the pipes get burst and results in flooding. This affects the entire work process in the house and makes the home owner’s life miserable.
Steps that can prevent home flooding could be explained briefly now:
- If there are any blocked drains in the house then the first thing is to contact a plumber to unblock them quickly.
- Usually drains get blocked due to the lack of flow of the water or waste getting collected in it.
- Having a good drainage system in our property is an essential part or else flooding could be the most common risk to happen to the house.
- The homes near the coastal areas are prone to flooding and the same instance of blocked drains can be seen there. After flooding a large amount of debris gets collected over the drains and if not removed on time then chaos gets created.
- A professional and experienced plumber is the only one who should be called for installing an effective system for drainage.
- Small changes like insulating the pipes or during wintertime leaving the heater working can give the plumbing accessories in the best way.
There are many disposal products that cause blocked drains inside the house. The pipes get blocked and thus the water does not get enough place to move out and it returns back to the house.
Some of the disposable products are as follows:
- Wet wipes
- Plastic wrappers
- Grease or oil
- Food and vegetable peels
- Sanitary pads and kid’s nappies
- Fats and plasters
- Earbuds and cotton balls
- Strands of hair
Even after taking an ample number of precautions, if the house still gets flooded with dirty and foul smell water then there are some essential preventive measures to be taken so that it would not harm anyone.
- Firstly, turn off all the switches and electrical points.
- Do not walk around the entire home, only move around in the places where the water is not flowing.0
- The entryways should be protected with barriers.
- The family members should use sandbags so that they do not get a shock.
- Move all the electrical equipment away from the water or flooded areas of the house.
- Wearing plastic bags and tying them with elastic bands on hands and legs would protect the people from serious injuries
The situation of having blocked drains can be avoided if they are maintained properly. It should be cleaned at regular intervals and looked into the maintenance part carefully. Ensuring that the power connections are cut at the time of water flow inside the house is very important. It is advised that the homeowners should call a well-experienced plumber for their services and not indulge in the plumbing works themselves. The flow blocked drains need to be checked by a professional plumber even while any sort of renovation or remodelling of the house is done.